September Study Guide 2019
Here is a high level glance at what we’re up to learning-wise this month. General themes are fall, gardening and plenty of outside time.
We’re studying at the first grade and kindergarten levels for most subjects.
- Social Emotional Learning (SEL) – Big Life Journal
- Language Arts – word family practice, consonant blends, poetry tea time
- Social Studies – marketplaces, civics, ethics
- Music – free play piano, music appreciation
- Movement – ballet
- Health – personal safety, unit review
- Arts & crafts – kid’s choice, felt, embroidery bracelets, garden art, puppets, finger knitting
- Science – liquids/solids/gases, scientific inquiry, charting temperatures, star gazing, studies on ponds, forests and birds, thunder & lightning
- Math – 2x and 3x tables, measurements, adding numbers 11-20
We are keeping with Oak Meadow for the bulk of the curriculum with supplemental materials from Education.com and personal interests.
Ballet joins our schedule as well as a new forest school program and a seed saving workshop. We’re also investigating a potential soccer program as well.
Julie Bogart’s Brave Learner continues to be a source of inspiration for us.
Our binders are proving to be a good way of corralling the paperwork and a way to show off the kids work. We also worked together on our monthly bulletin board and kids-created calendar (and overview of what’s coming up).