Summer, you might think, is a break from education for us. It’s not really. We tend to go lighter on curriculum but the learning never stops. I have a bunch of activities planned from strawberry picking and fishing to festivals, tea time and field trips. We have our first official dance recital coming up which already is a huge highlight.
Inspiration-wise, the first walk on the moon happened about 50 years ago. There is a lot of hype around the anniversary. PBS has programs and activities for the young and old alike dedicated to exploring the stars. Check out PBS.org, PBSKIDS.org and PBSLearningMedia.org for a ton of resources. Our local library system is also looking to space for inspiration. There are a bunch of family activities focused on exploring the universe. And Blue Origin announced last month a cool program for kids and educators (send a postcard to the moon!) among other things.
I’m also taking inspiration from the changing season, our Kiwi Crate subscription, Father’s Day, picnic ideas and keeping cool in the summer months. And Julie Bogart’s The Brave Learner book is still an influence. I’m weaving in elements of “surprise” into our plan this month as well.
Without further ado, here’s our list of inspiration for the month of June, with the hope it helps you chase away the “I’m bored” comments:
Crafts and activities
- Poetry tea time (The Brave Learner)
- Nature scavenger hunts
- Flower crowns
- Pitch a tent
- Play tee ball, bocce ball, soccer
- Ride bikes
- Go fishing (it’s free on 6/8-6/9 in WA state)
- Raspberries and yogurt parfaits
- Fruit rockets
- Moon snacks
- Frozen watermelon popsicles
- Strawberry jam
- Strawberry-banana “soft serve”
- Kid-made picnic (chicken bites, potato salad and more)
Learning beyond our home…
- Park play dates
- Herb & Food Fair (local festival)
- Exploring Space workshops and performances (local library system)
- Family fun day (local festival)
- “End of school” homeschool picnic
- Strawberry picking
Between every activity, class and field trip, we’re always learning. Here are a few extra things we’re throwing into the mix this month.
- Kiwi crate
- Father’s Day (PBS LearningMedia)
- Tami’s Tower (engineering game)
- First day of Summer (PBS LearningMedia)
And for parents, too
As parents, we like to learn too!